Friday, March 15, 2013

Sleep is for the weak.

Ask my mom about my childhood. I'm pretty sure she may still have a grudge against me.

That, my friends, is because I would not sleep. In fact, I remember not sleeping through the night.

Growing up, my parents would put me to bed. I would toss and turn and toss and turn. Eventually, I would slip out of bed quietly and find something to entertain me.

Early on, it was Barbie dolls and later it became books. I also remember laying in bed fake coughing until my mom would give me dime-a-tap.

As I've grown up, I have realized that I come by this trait honestly. I get it from my dad. At family reunions, the party doesn't start until 2:00 A.M. On Facebook in the middle of the night? My relatives will see you there.

I've also come to realize that this condition gets worse with stress/anxiety. Since I've had Emmalyn, my anxiety levels have been through the roof. Hands down, this is the most anxious I've ever been in my life. It comes and goes, to an extent, but I can always feel it bubbling beneath the surface. I'm starting to feel like I may have some PPA.

With my new found anxiety levels, I've also found new levels of sleeplessness. I go to bed with my husband at night. Within a few minutes, he is snoring away, and I'm left to my own devices. These include tv and my iPhone. I google super random stuff in the middle of the night, and I warn you, the search history will scar you for life. The last 5 searches on my phone include things like: hereditary sleep disorders (may not be so random), Jase Robertson's wife (does anyone else think the Duck Dynasty wives all look related?) and also (has anyone ever noticed that the word dynasty has nasty in it?), sex after IUD insertion (does it hurt?), banishing birth control bloat (make it go away!), and best BB creams (I want a better one).

My husband and I have lucked out when it comes to our children. They have both been amazing sleepers from a very young age. I'm pretty sure they get that from his family.

No comments:

Post a Comment