Wednesday, May 8, 2013

It's Not All Talk

Eloquent Graffiti

I'm linking up with Eloquent GraffitiPretty Living PDX, and The Easley Family to tell you the scary truth about my job.   For the record, I'm a speech-language pathologist who works with geriatric populations.  More specifically, I work with older adults who have swallowing disorders secondary to stroke, generalized weakness, and dementia.  I also work heavily on improving quality of life and decreasing anxiety in people with dementia.  

Fact:  I LOVE my job.   I wouldn't do it if I didn't love it.  My patients melt my heart on a daily basis.  

Fact:  Just because I'm a "speech therapist," that doesn't mean you're exempt from my services.  I would be willing to be in 8/10 of the evaluations that I do, I have the following conversation:
           Lauren:  Hi, I'm Lauren, and I'm a speech therapist.  
           Patient: Well, honey, there ain't nothing wrong with the way I talk, but I'm glad you came to see
                             me. 
           Lauren: Yes, ma'am, but you're doctor wants me to spend some time with you. 
           Patient: But honey, I'm telling you, I've been talking just fine my whole life. 
           Lauren: Yes ma'am, but just because I'm called a 'speech therapist' doesn't mean I only address 
                          speech.  Sometimes I work on things like memory and problem solving.  We also have
                           to check and make sure you don't have any swallowing problems. 
           Patient: Well honey, I've been eating for 80 years without problems, I don't think I have 
                         problems now either.  
            Lauren:  Yes ma'am, but because your doctor ordered it, then I have to see what we can do. 

Fact:  I don't want you to have to drink thickened liquids.  I understand that they're disgusting.  I also know that aspiration pneumonia is the number one cause of death in geriatric care facilities.  In addition, I know aspiration puts you at risk for bronchitis, pneumonia, respiratory distress, respiratory failure, and possible death.  And a fact within a fact, just because someone doesn't "choke," doesn't mean a swallowing problem doesn't exist.   Also, just because someone wants something, doesn't make it safe.  However, I'm not a nazi.  My job is to determine the safest diet for your loved one, and recommend that diet.  If you want to feed your loved one something that is deemed unsafe, then that's your decision, and your an adult.   I just ask you to remember that there all risks involved.  

Fact:  Alzheimer's disease/Dementia are tough.  People suffering from these diseases often spend time agitated and confused.  They don't understand why they need supervision around the clock.  A lot of times they have decreased insight into deficits.  Unfortunately, as some doctors tell me, "there is no cure for dementia," and I'm not going to be able to fix it.  I can, however, come up with strategies and ways go improve your loved one's quality of life and decrease anxiety.  

Fact:  Even though I'm very aware of these deficits, I still get tired of repeating myself.   It makes me feel like a bad person, but alas, it is the nature of the beast. 

Fact:  I find a certain entertainment value in my job.   I love my patients, but sometimes you have to laugh.  Example: We had taco salads for lunch one day this week. 
           Dementia Patient: Oh, look, spaghetti. 
           Lauren: No sir, that's a taco salad. 
           Dementia Patient:  My spaghetti sure is cold. 
           Lauren:  Well, it's a taco salad, so some of it is supposed to be cold. 
           Dementia Patient:  Why did they serve this spaghetti over crackers?

Fact:  I spend a lot of my day negotiating and practicing verbal reasoning skills.  I also spend probably close to as much time documenting what I do as actually doing it.  

Fact:  I have to work, and there's no where else I'd rather work.  

Tell me the truth about your job.  






No comments:

Post a Comment